2005-02-03

Unseen vs. Unheard

I buy a lot of music, many times purely on recommendation or knowledge of prior work. I buy music without ever hearing it. Some people think I'm crazy for doing this. "What if you don't like it?" they say? Well, I don't just randomly pick. I do choose, so I'm pretty sure I'll like it, or at least not hate it. The great thing is when I end up loving it. It's very satisfying to me to branch in to new music and find stuff I love to hear over and over.

The thing is, even though I'm the fool for buying music unheard, everyone goes and sees movies unseen. Sure, you get to see 30 seconds of it on TV, but I can listen to 30 seconds of music on iTMS too. Take a friend and see a movie and if you end up not liking it, you are out the $16 and have nothing to show for it. If I buy a CD and end up not liking it, I can get back at least a portion of that $16 by selling it.

My advice, go buy something slightly outside your comfort zone. You might just like it.

No comments: