2009-01-09

Where's the Love?

I like to rate stuff. Movies from Netflix, songs in iTunes, photos in iPhoto - they all allow ratings of 1 to 5 stars. I make use of these ratings in all of these apps. I started to wonder if I have similar distributions of love-like-hate across different types of media. So, of course I made a really geeky bar graph!



  • First off, I don't have time in my life for hate. Music and photos that I hate get removed from my library. A movie has to be really bad for me to hate it. I only had 9 hated movies in Netflix out of over 500 ratings.

  • I have nearly 6000 things rated between the 3 groups. Apple must love me for their genius database.

  • Movies and music tend to collect in the Really Like. I think that makes sense.

  • I take bad photos. Most of my library is stuff I took and I rate most of it at 3 stars. Photos have the lowest love percentage.

  • I seem to love more movies as a percentage vs. music and photos.

  • Less than 10% of my library is music that will gurantee that I dance, sing along, and nod my head when it comes on. That's unfortunate and probably why I spend so much money on music. Always on the hunt for a 5 star :)

2 comments:

Paul said...

Do the Salmon Dance! I'd say as far as rating goes, I just rate songs 4-5 stars so they get added to the "My Top Rated" default smart playlist in iTunes.

Unknown said...

You're the biggest stats nerd I know. It's pretty awesome.